Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival- May 2014

My regular readers are well aware that this quilt has been a long time in the making. I suspect they will be as glad that it’s finished as I was to put the last stitch in the binding at 1.27 pm this afternoon! Not bad when you consider I started this in mid 2011....

If you’re visiting from my link at the Bloggers Quilt Festival- welcome to you and thank you for taking the time to swing by when there are so many fabulous entries for you to look at . Feel free to have a squizz at the rest of my blog while you’re here and make yourself at home. 

All of my quilts seem to come together a bit like a greek tragedy ...there’s love(Ooh I like that I think I’ll make one) and hate (I'm so fed up with this quilt – why wont it go together the way it looks in my head) , pathos (Oh woe is me , will this ever be finished?) and tragedy (Crap! I just sewed over my own finger –again).  But in the end every quilt feels like a triumph just for the finish factor if nothing else. I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing and trumpets blowing this afternoon!

I should point out for those that don’t know me- I’m that loud, brash, swearing Aussie girl your mother probably didn’t want you to hang out with in high school. And my quilts are usually a lot like me too. An abundance of colour, modern, big personality quilts, so when I decided three years ago to make this quilt I was as surprised as anyone that a traditional design had caught my fancy. I had very real fears that I’d get to the end of it and not really love it.


But my fears were unfounded, – I’m totally and utterly in love with everything about this quilt and I’m so happy to share it with you all. I'm utterly dreadful at naming my quilts (and quite often get my blog friends to name them for me) so if you have any suggestions I’d be glad to hear them. 

I also tend to waffle a lot (Really ?You hadn't noticed ?) but today I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking for me. 


Daisies in each block corner 


With a daisy in each centre 



The quilt back 



The whole shebang



Finished Size: 60 x 86 inches 

Pieced by: Moi!(I still cant believe I made that!) 

Quilted by: My amazing quilting fairy

Dresden fan blades: made from 4 charm packs. Its been so long since I started this quilt I cant recall exactly what the fabric was (sorry !)


Backing Blocks : Old recycled bread sacks that I got from Freecycle(seriously)

Sashing and Binding: Pretty sure this was a Darlene Zimmerman fabric...

Backing : Something I got on sale at Spotlight and it was cheap but perfect for this project. 

Entered in: ROYGBIV Category. 

Thanks to Amy for hosting this little soiree . She really does an amazing job of coordinating it all and giving us all the opportunity to revel in each other’s creativity. I'm really looking forward to seeing a ton of eye candy this week. Thanks for dropping in to see mine. 



PS.  This is my second finish in Katy’s Finish Along for the 2nd quarter of 2014 (two more finishes for this quarter are looming but  fortunately I haven't shot my big mouth off about any more nudey runs if things on my list don't get finished ) and I'm linking this post up to Elizabeth’s "A Stitch in Time " Finishes linky party for May. YOu can see my original goals for the quarter in this post . 



29 comments:

Sooli said...

Phew, nudie run avoided! I love it, the daisies are gorgeous, love daisies. Namewise, what about Dresden Daisy Chain?

Karen said...

It is a stunner! Love this finish :)

AnnieO said...

Damn, you just squeaked in under the wire! Oh well, there's always next time :)
I think you just named the quilt yourself--Daisy Dresdens. Though Nudie Dresdens does have a ring to it...hmm?
Congrats on a gorgeous quilt!

Vesuviusmama said...

It continues to be a stunner! Congrats on the finish!

Helsie said...

Fantastic! Well worth the wait. You have reason to be proud.

Terri said...

I think you did already name your quilt... the Whole Shebang seems just right to me. LOL
I love it! I love the low impact colors, and the quilting fairy did a great job. It's a beauty. Hope you win first prize.
Hugs

Rachaeldaisy said...

Well!! This was worth waiting for!! What a gorgeous, fun, beautiful quilt!! The colours are wonderful, a perfect balance between bright and pretty. Did you swoon when you saw the quilting? It's awesome, your fairy sure knows how to quilt!! I love the daisy centers!! Your greek tragedy description was hilarious too.

Canadian Abroad said...

Woohoo!itsfi is he'd, and it's gorgeous. What a lot of work in it!you should be so proud, and your quilting fairy did a fab job too. Excellent entry.

Larri said...

Well, dirt. I was hoping Mr. Pyjamas was going to post a Youtube of your nudey run. ;)

Shay, this quilt is exquisite! You will treasure it always. Gorgeous finish, friend. Way to knock this one right out of the park!

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

You should be proud -there's a whole lotta work there! No wonder it took you since 2011. Must feel so good to finally have it done and ready to be put to use (and admired!). Well done!

Jennifer said...

Hey, you can't rush genius, is what I always say.......I have quilts which have been hibernating longer than three years, you know......probably just as well about the nudie run, isn't it, because there are some things the world just isn't ready for.

Sue SA said...

Yipee! Congratulations on finishing the dresden, it looks fantastic. I love the colours/fabrics, so suited to this traditional pattern. Sew happy for you ;)

Mistea said...

You just reminded me that all quilts are not created equal. This is gorgeous!
Well done on a fantastic finish.
You will be able to put it to good use if winter ever shows up.
The next quilt due do be finished on my stack was started sometime in the previous decade! Yours really is a youngster.

Cath said...

It is lovely, well done girl!
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Marg said...

Darn it, I was really looking forward to the video of you streaking through Adelaide.
It is absolutely beautiful Shay. I love every last thing about this quilt. Your quilting fairy did a fabulous job on the quilting and even though it took so long it was well and truly worth it.
Love your Greek tragedy description, it pretty much sums up every quilt I've ever attempted.

Marg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
audrey said...

Ahhh.. This one is really special! Love that happy pink and the machine quilting sets it off perfectly!

Cindy said...

WOAH! So beautiful! The quilting totally sets the block off perfectly.

Marie said...

beautiful! the quilting fairy did a cool job too!

Kristie said...

/shay!! This is a stunner!! I absolutely adore it, and your quilting fairy knocked it out of the park. And your description of quilting being like a greek tragedy? SO on the mark!!

Jackie said...

It is absolutely stunning. I love how the colours go together and the daisy pattern is perfect!

God bless.

Paulette said...

I think this may be my all-time favorite of your quilts, Shay. So, so beautiful! Stellar piecing and fabric selection, and the quilting is perfect-o!

CitricSugar said...

It's a beautiful dresden plate with a very 1930's feel to it - lovely job! Glad you stuck with it. :-)

Cardygirl said...

Greek tragedy or not, it is stunning!

What Comes Next? said...

how wonderful is that?! A traditional Dresden fan is in my to do list - yours is beautiful!

stitchingandbacon said...

This is gorgeous! I love your quilting tragedy... also please tell me you have not sewn over your finger more than once? I have done that and it was a sight I can not soon unsee.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful Shay - congrats on a great finish. I've been stockpiling 1930's fabrics to make just such a quilt. You have inspired me to get my act together and start making it.

Kate said...

Wow! Congrats on the finish. It turned out beautifully!

I like Anne's suggestion of Daisy Dresdens.

SIMPLESEW said...

HOPPING OVER FROM SUCH AND SEW AND SEW LINKY PARTY. Beautiful.. I have dresdens on my mind too.. please visit me.. joined your pinterest too..